Course Overview and Introduction
Course Overview and Introduction provides learners an introduction to the instructor, course, and expectation; assists learners with navigating the course and getting started.
- Netiquette: Make it Part of Your Syllabus (JOLT, Vol. 6, No. 1, March 2010)
- Using Your Syllabus as a Learning Resource (June 9, 2014)
- Teacher Presence: Using Introductory Videos in Online and Hybrid Courses (Mar 31, 2008)
- 4 Basic Components of an Online Course (Apr 24, 2013)
Learning Objectives describes specific and measurable learner outcomes which indicate knowledge and skills to achieve.
Assessment and Measurement
Assessment and Measurement: methods used to evaluate a learner's progress in meeting the stated learning objectives.
- Beyond Multiple Choice: Using Different Question Types (video)
- Formative Assessment: The Secret Sauce of Blended Success (Jul 23, 2014)
- Peer Grading in a MOOC: Reliability, Validity, and Perceived Effects (Jul 2014)
- ePortfolios and Audience: Teaching a Critical Twenty-First Century Skill (2014)
- Testing students during video lectures improves learning (Apr 8, 2013)
- 7 Things You Should Know About Calibrated Peer Review (Oct 4, 2013)
Instructional Materials are content and resources that support the learner in achieving the stated learning objectives.
- Making Online Content More Accessible: Simple Techniques to Support All Learners Online (Aug 25, 2015)
- Are You Missing This Piece to Enhance Student Learning? (Feb 19, 2015)
- Content "Loading" in Hybrid/Blended Learning (2014)
- Is Content Curation in Your Skill Set? It Should Be. (Oct 29, 2012)
- 5 Killer eLearning Tips To Help You Dominate Content Chunking (Aug 28, 2014)
- 10 tips on how to make slides that communicate your idea, from TED's in-house expert (Jul 15, 2014)
- 6 Scientifically Proven Brain Facts That eLearning Professionals Should Know (May 8, 2014)
- 7 Things You Should Know About Flipped Classrooms (Feb 2012)
- Is Blended Learning the Best of Both Worlds? (Jan 17, 2013)
Learner Activities and Learner Interaction
Learner Activities and Learner Interaction describe active learning pedagogies that facilitate the learning process, promote engagement and interaction, and align with stated learning objectives.
- How ‘Good’ is Your Online Course? Five Steps to Assess Course Quality (May 26, 2015)
- Staying the Course: Engaging and Retaining Non-Traditional Students in Online Education (June 2015)
- Online Discussion Questions That Work (Nov 4, 2014)
- Comparing Asynchronous and Synchronous Learning (Nov 26, 2014)
- New Faculty Survey Finds More Learner-Centered Teaching, Less Lecturing (Nov 18, 2014)
- Seven Tips to Sustain Motivation and Keep Learners Coming Back for More (Oct 27, 2014)
- Why we need group work in Online Learning (Mar 24, 2012)
- Three Strategies for Creating Meaningful Learning Experiences (Feb 24, 2014)
- Three Active Learning Strategies That Push Students Beyond Memorization (Jul 9, 2014)
- Five Essential Skills Instructors Need to Facilitate Online Group Work & Collaboration (Feb 17, 2014)
- Expanding Your Online Pedagogy Toolkit (Apr 22, 2014)
- Researcher finds linking students in synchronous, online discussions boosts engagement, quality of contributions (Mar 12, 2014)
- Five Elements that Promote Learner Collaboration and Group Work on Online Courses (Feb 10, 2014)
- Online discussions: Promoting effective student to student interaction (2004)
- How to Improve Online Discussion Posts (Dec 20, 2013)
- College Success: A Fresh Look at Differentiated Instruction and Other Student-Centered Strategies (Summer, 2013)
- Socratic Method and Online Learning (Dec 27, 2012)
Course Technology is technology tools and strategies that contribute to the learning process.
- How MOOC Video Production Affects Student Engagement (Mar 12, 2014)
- The Ultimate Checklist for Using Video in e-Learning (Mar 13, 2014)
- Instructional Design vs. Online Pedagogy (Apr 21, 2014)
- Studies Confirm the Power of Visuals in eLearning (Jul 8, 2014)
- How to choose the best Ed-Tech tools for Online Instruction (Jul 20, 2012)
- Interactive Elements in E-Learning (Apr 11, 2014)
- Show the Learner Visible Signs of Their Learning (Jan 29, 2014)
- Lights, Camera, Learn!: Five tips for using video in eLearning (Apr 2012)
- More Technology, Please (Oct 10, 2012)
Learner Support: services and resources that are integral to learner success.
- What We Can Learn from Unsuccessful Online Students (Nov 14, 2014)
- Five Things Online Students Want From Faculty (May 30, 2014)
- e-Learning: Challenges and Solutions (Mar 14, 2014)
- Five-step Strategy for Student Success with Online Learning (Sep 28, 2012)
Accessibility and Usability
Accessibility and Usability: alternatives that promote access to course components that meet the needs of all learners.
- Online Proctoring: What Are Your Options? (Jan 22, 2013)
Miscellaneous and other topics related to other aspects of online teaching and learning.
- 6 Secrets of Active Learning Classroom Design (Jul 8, 2015)
- Finding Streaming Media for your Courses (video)
- The MOOC Hype Fades, In 3 Charts (Feb 15, 2015)
- A Fresh Look at Response Rates: 9 Best Practices for College and Universities Moving to Online Course Evaluations (no date)
- Got Skills? Why Online Competency-Based Education Is the Disruptive Innovation for Higher Education (Nov 10, 2014)
- Using Student Feedback to Optimize Learning -- Four Emerging Trends (June 13, 2014)
- The Pros and Cons of an Online College Education (Mar 1, 2013)
- Why I Changed My Mind About Teaching Online (Oct 1, 2012)
- 7 Elements for Effective Mid-term Course Evaluations (Jul 18, 2013)
- Barriers to Adoption of Online Learning Systems in U.S. Higher Education (May 1, 2012)
- KU launches Center for Online and Distance Learning (May 18, 2011)
- informED: An online commentary for the education industry.
- Checklist For Conducting A Fair Use Analysis Before Using Copyrighted Materials (Cornell University)
- Content Accessibility
- Copyright Advisory Office (Columbia University) - Fair Use Checklist
- Copyright Decision Tree
- Library Resources for Online Instructors
- Linking Directly to Electronic Resources